Monday 27 June 2011

Molyneux 'Ashamed' of Fable III Scores


The man behind the Fable franchise has decided that he isn't pleased with the results of the two year labour that was Fable III. He didn't blame the reviewers and critics for being wrong, or harsh - but for simply being right in what they had said about Lionhead Studios shortest project.

Here are a few snippets from what Peter has said on the topic below:-

"I look at Fable III and it's hard to be completely honest without offending people; but I know, when I read in the middle of a review that said the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews."

"It didn't end up being the game that I dreamed it would be, because I thought the mechanic of the ruling section were really good ideas. I thought they were good ideas, but we just didn't have time to exploit those ideas fully."

"I hate the fact that people know what to expect from something like Lionhead," he said. "'We know what Fable's going to be; we know what's coming next from Lionhead.' I hate that idea.

"We should, again, double down on freshness and originality without sacrificing without sacrificing quality.

"We should take a deep look at what people really enjoy about the experiences that [we] might have made and try and focus on those rather than focus on the gimmicks, which we kind of love to develop.

"That is being a little bit self-critical," Molyneux added, "but I think that there's times that you have to be self-critical. I think the worst thing that could have happened to Fable III is if it sold 4.99 million, because I think that would have made us slightly complacent, and complacency is always the worst place to be, in my opinion.


Read the full statement below from Peter to Eurogamer, but it seems like what we will be seeing from Fable in the future is going to be something that smooths over the cracks from previous games - and the stigma of over promising and those bugs in the system.

Eurogamer.net Link

No comments:

Post a Comment